[...] I think what you would have seen in Season Three is [a series] a lot more embracing of its mythology and turned into more of a superhero show. It would have been a little bit more like Buffy in some ways. [Source: Spinoff Online]
Die Metropolregion müsse sich “polyzentral” entwickeln: Derzeit konzentriere sich - überspitzt formuliert - alles auf den Münchner Marienplatz. Augsburg, Ingolstadt oder Rosenheim seien als Zentren zwar ebenfalls attraktiv, könnten aber noch mehr zulegen, findet Wulfhorst.Aus diesem Grund verstehe ich auch die zweite Stammstrecke nicht. Warum einen Bereich noch weiter ausbauen, der sowieso schon überlastet ist? Die Alternative, der Südring, scheint mir interessanter. In einer vergleichenden Studie schneidet die zweite Stammstrecke zwar “besser” ab, aber wurde dort neben der Wirtschaftlichkeit auch die Auswirkung auf die Stadtentwicklung betrachtet? Ausserdem ist der Südring vergleichweise billig und hat zudem kleinere Varianten, die noch weniger kosten.
|ZAGGmate: Shaped like the lid of a shoebox, it functions as a protective case for the iPad’s screen. It also contains a stand for propping up the iPad. An integrated Bluetooth keyboard is optional. [Source: Philipp Rauschmayer]|
|Clamcase Keyboard Case: The iPad becomes the screen of the device and, thanks to a special hinge design, can be rotated 360 degrees. Thus the case can either protect the iPad like a closed notebook, be used like a notebook, prop up the iPad at a desired angle, or disappear behind the iPad. [Source: Engadget]|
Google Wave tried to be everything at the same time and was confusing as a result. Turning it into specialized services might be the proper way to put this technology to real-world use.
[Source: Daring Fireball]
- Read the binary data of the ZIP file from the server via XMLHttpRequest. You need to specify a charset x-user-defined to ensure that each byte stays a single character.
- Translate the binary data to base 64 and turn it into a PNG data URI. PNG is zipped internally, so if you get the header right, the web browser will unzip the data as soon as the image is drawn somewhere.
- Draw the image into a Canvas object, with a height of 1 pixel. Read the uncompressed data from the Canvas, pixel by pixel.
- Google is scared of Facebook and Twitter, because they are very successful and own important data for improving the quality of web searches.
- It has already bought a number of social companies, but does not seem to be able to integrate them well into the company; there is a lot of political infighting between various groups.
Pixar has [...] a culture where the fear of complacency is a strong motivator, where new problems are identified, discussed, and addressed openly and honestly, all of which requires humility.As an aside, the article also links to “Keep Your Crises Small”, an interesting talk by Catmull. Openness and the willingness to make mistakes (and learn from them) are rare in the business world. It is a good sign that Pixar encourages both.
- Linux: $13.61
- Mac: $8.41
- Windows: $6.31
- JavaFX Script was not as usable a language as Java: It was neither complete nor fast enough, and didn’t have the proper tools. JavaFX Script could have worked as a domain-specific language for Java, but the two were not well integrated.
- Other JVM-based languages benefit. With the new approach, the JavaFX functionality is available to everything that runs on the JVM versus to just to JavaFX Script.
|The cloud lets all of your computing devices work together like a single system.|
If you’re worried about whether your Gawker user password has been compromised or not, the company’s Lifehacker blog has published an FAQ on the issue. Essentially, if you logged in to comment on Gawker, Gizmodo, Jalopnik, Jezebel, Kotaku, Lifehacker, Deadspin, io9, or Fleshbot you need to change the password for both your Gawker account and anywhere else you use that password.The problem is that some people use the same password for all of their accounts. The hackers have used this to hijack Twitter accounts. Lesson: Use a different password for every account you have. Some kind of pattern derived from the site name is probably the way to go if you don’t want your brain to explode.
[Source: Daring Fireball]
- “Quick: An Introduction to Racket with Pictures”: I like that functions can return actual pictures to the command line.
- How to Design Programs: A textbook for Racket whose complete content is available online. Having this kind of textbook makes Racket interesting for universities.
- MathML: is a markup language for math that can be embedded in HTML. Firefox already supports it, WebKit will soon (and thus Safari and Chrome). You can check out MathML in a demo document.
- Commercial (watch first): Conan O’Brien, American Express “Glass Blowing” Extended Cut
- Making-of: Behind-The-Scenes, Conan O’Brien + American Express—“Glass Blowing”